12.04.2008

Holy

Often times in worship I find myself having the urge to sing out whatever is coming into my heart. A lot of the time the song that is placed in my heart is one of two things. "You are Holy" or "You are Worthy" It is at times like these when I feel like I am going to burst with praise and nothing in the english/human language can express the longings in my heart.

Romans 8:26-27 says "...We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will." I think this shows that the words we pray or sing in praise don't have to be eloquent and fancy. The Lord knows the heart and the spirit will translate our meger human words of worship into something fit for the King of the Universe. Therefore, I think it is okay to sing the word "Holy" over and over again for 30 mins or longer. The Lord doesn't care what words we are singing because he knows what we are really trying to express.

If you haven't noticed yet, worship is one of my all time favorite things. I recently stumbled upon a song by Matt Gilman, one of the worship leaders at IHOP. The song is called Holy. It is very powerful. Click here to listen to it on his myspace. This song is basically how I feel everytime one of these free flowing songs arise in my heart. I just want to shout. And cry. And fall down. I know it sounds weird...but I don't care. I love worshiping the Lord with total abandon and if that is through one single word that is fine. I hope I get to do it like this for the rest of my life. Even when I am in heaven.

1 comment: